Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mixing, Matching & Scrapping Expo Workshop 2012


This relaxed atmosphere class was my favorite by far! Diana showed us tips and tricks with Faber-Castell's awesome color line of mix and matching watercolor media. The class size was small allowing us to really get Diana's input/inspiration on each of our creations, which I found helpful. Each person in the class used the same materials and created totally different projects; it was very cool to see such a large spectrum of creativity that can be done with this line. Though this line of gelatos, markers, and pencils seem a bit intimidating to many I found them VERY forgiving and enjoyed getting my fingers dirty doing all the blending that is possible with them! Immediately after helping clean up the class I ran down to the show floor to The Rubber Cafe and purchased my own set of the Gelatos. I love knowing that now I will be able to tint anything I have to match the project I am working on, which has been a constant problem for me (I am secretly a scrapbook supply hoarder-shhhh don't tell my hubby!). This $35, 1 1/2 hour class was well worth both my time and money, I love the products I went home with and loved having the freedom to "play" with the materials in class and learn how to use them with Diana's suggestions handy.
Materials from the class

One of the mixed media pages from the pack we were working on. Used gel medium to write Boyz Rock! on it but didn't have the time to finish coloring the canvas. I used a thick layer of gel medium and it took 2 hours to dry.


Another canvas page, this look was created with a stencil, a Big brush pen, and Gelatos. The stamped image was even done with Gelatos. I plan to edge this with ribbon (once I get my sewing machine out).

This cool project was done on a chipboard sheet using the brick template again, modeling paste, and Gelatos.

We were experimenting with a drippy look on this project with the Gelatos, the book page was put down with a coat of gel medium both under and over the page. The stamped image was also created with Gelato.

This is watercolor paper, ran through a Cuttlebug embossing folder. I used 3 Gelato techniques to lay down the color; first, I dry rubbed the teal all over. Next, I watered my finger and rubbed the areas where color didn't get into the crevices. Lastly, I used a dry paint brush and swept some leftover purple Gelato "paste" I had created to make some of the design pop.

This is a reverse image of the stencil we were using. I created it with the leftover modeling paste I was trying to get off the stencil to clean it, but thought I would hang onto it and see what I can make with it later.


No comments:

Post a Comment