Sunday, June 2, 2013

How to create 8 pages in 1 hour with Assembly Line Scrapbooking!

I don't know about you but I am extremely busy! Besides being a wife and mom to a very active family, I am a full time student too. Because of all the wonderful and not so wonderful distractions of life, I am now about 7 years behind in my scrapbooking! Sound familiar? So when I came across the idea of assembly line scrapbooking I thought I would give it a try. Here's what you need to do it
1.a large table where you can have multiple layouts out
2. scrapbook paper, embellishments and standard supplies
3. lots of pictures
4. (optional) sketch book or website

Here's what you want to do:
1. organize the pictures and group them by pages
2. choose paper to go with pictures
3. design each layout/ use sketch book or website
4. choose tilse for all the pages
5. do all the journaling for all the pages
6. embellish all the pages
7. glue everything down

Here's how I did mine: I can have 4 2pg layouts spread out on my table at a time for a total of 8 pages. I used this technique for my son's 8th birthday party scrapbook. I made all the embellishments ahead of time because I used them to decorate his party room. They were all cut from the Cricut and glued together before the party, so I just saved them to use on the scrapbook pages. I stuck with simple and minimal layout designs using mainly 5 colors: yellow, orange, red, green, and black. This alone helped me design faster because I wasn't worried about what shade matched what picture, etc. This way I was able to create 8 pages in about an hour instead of 2 pages which is how many I normally get done in an hour.
The cover of the album I painted with acrylic paint. "It's a zoo in here" was cutout from the Cricut.

Pg1. I was trying for a party on the page look with this first page. The "party" is chipboard colored with black ink. The balloons and #8 were cut from the Cricut. The photo border was added on Walgreens.com (I LOVE adding photo borders to make my favorite shots pop).

Pg.2 Everyone was in on helping getting the decorations ready for the party. Top left is my dad working on the banner, I'm in the middle gluing things together, my hubby and niece are on the right. The paw prints on all the pages were used to decorate the tables in the party room.

Pg.3 Features my Mom cutting all the pieces for the decorations from the Cricut. I kept all the negatives from the cutouts because I love how they make great frames for pictures on layouts! Journaling reads: The day before Ty's 8th birthday party was spent creating decorations with Mom's Cricut. Dad and Chris kept the kids busy and helped us whenever we had jobs for them. It was a long day but we had a blast.

Pg.4 Zoo was cut from the Cricut. I love taking pictures in front of landmark signs; they make for great photo ops! The red zoo animal frame was added on walgreens.com

Pg. 5 Family pictures and I always like to include the date for future reference. 

Pg 6. The seal was cutout from the Cricut. Photos taken at the sea lion/seal show. Journaling reads: First we kicked off the party by taking everyone to the sea lion and seal show. Everyone enjoyed watching all the tricks the animals could do. Tyler loved seeing the trainers working with the seals and sea lions best.

Pg7. Again I used the negative cutout from the decorations to frame some pictures. The beach balls were hand cut. The seal brads were from eyeletoutlet.com

Pg 8. The paw prints were created from the cutouts of the paw circles that adorned the tables. Journaling reads: Chris, Dad and the other adults split the kids into teams for a scavenger hunt in the fish building. Mom and I dashed to the party room to decorate. We loved how it looked! (I would never host a party at this zoo again for this reason, I had to do WAY to much of the work for what we paid for the time and space for the party.)

Pg 9. Can you tell I was happy with the result of the decorated room?! 

Pg 10. I used extra tickets to embellish this page. The giraffe was done with a kids stencil and oil pastel. I spread the journaling across the leaves. It reads: Everyone enjoyed pizza and punch before opening gifts!

Pg 11. I used the negative pieces from leaves cut from the Cricut to embellish this page. The middle strip has green sheer ribbon laced through and the two outer strips have green square gems scattered around them for a festive look.

Pg 12. (I have blacked out all the kids last names to respect privacy of the families) I find I get the best pictures when I have the birthday kid sit in a special spot, and each kid gets to come up while he is opening their gift. always works out real well for photo ops. The octagon pictures and matting was cut using the Spellbinders shapeablilities: Octagons.

Pg 13. The octagon pictures and matting was cut using the Spellbinders shapeablilities: Octagons. The angled ribbon down the middle was created by layering 2 different ribbons side by side, I love how layered ribbon looks! I used colored negatives to fill in the spots on the black paw prints cut from the Cricut.

Pg 14. The monkey was a Cricut decoration from the party. The lion was traced from a stencil.

Pg 15. The paw prints were Cricut party decorations. Keeping the designs simple was challenging but helped me create faster.

Pg 16. I loved the little turtle cut from the Cricut, I had to use the negative for him on a page too. I may go back and draw in a face, he feels too plain to me!

Pg 17. This Vulture was Tyler's favorite animal decoration cut from the Cricut. I think he makes a great page embellishment!

Pg 18. This goofy looking cupcake snake we made was a big hit with the kids. The Happy Birthday frame was added on walgreens.com. I matted that photo 4 times and used pop dots to make the last layer stand up.

Pg 19. I used two of the negative layers from cutting the snake decoration as the center embellishment on this page. The leaves were also cut from the Cricut.

Pg 20. This wonderful decoration/embellishment from the party was all I need on this page.

Pg 21. This was the only page I spent a good deal of time on. I wanted to do something really cool with tracks to go with the pictures, but in all of my stash I didn't have a railroad sticker, cutout, or stamp. I am not the most realistic freehand artist, so I decided to cut strips of woodgrain paper to create the tracks. I completed the look by freehand drawing in some pebbles and gluing craft sand down. I sealed the craft sand in place with triple thick to make the whole thing pop.

My little guy getting his first look at the completed album at 6am on a Saturday morning. His favorite page is the train tracks with sand. 
In the end I am not going to win any creativity award for these pages, I am just glad I got this album done before he turned 18! The scrapbook pages are done which is the goal with this style of scrapping. Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and if you try your hand at some assembly line style scrapbooking I would love to see your results!!!

Start saving your (soda) pop bottles now, because my next post will have you seeing recycling them in a whole new way...


No comments:

Post a Comment